Tasty Tuesday - A Real Salvadorian Eats With Their Hands!

Hello My Lovelies, 

This week's Tasty Tuesday is a restaurant/dish that is very close to my heart. For those of you that don't know, I am full blooded Salvadorian. And, for those of you know aren't familiar with that nationality, both my parents were born in El Salvador which is a small country in Central America. With that being said, the main dish that my family grew up on and prepared often was Pupusas. Pupusas are a variation of a tortilla but they are thicker and  can be stuffed with many different ingredients but the most popular ones are stuffed with cheese and or meats. 

These delectable treats are made on a comal, cast iron, grill and made to order. They are served with a delicious spicy salsa and eaten with "cortido" which is pickled cabbage mixed with other veggies and spices. The number one rule that Salvadorians abide by deals with pupusas: YOU HAVE TO EAT PUPUSAS WITH YOUR HANDS! It's a rule we strictly enforce and if you consider yourself a true central american or Salvadorian, then you know better than to eat them with silverware. By the end of the meal, you'd gone through a whole paper towel role to clean off all the scrumptious juices and oils off your fingers. 

My earliest memories of eating pupusas, aside from homemade, was going with my family to a restuarant in Anaheim called "El Carbonero" which translates to "The Coal Miner." I have been coming to this restaurant ever since I was about 5 years old, now I take my friends and boyfriend to this restaurant and my boyfriend brings his friends. And, this restaurant just doesn't specialize in pupusas, they have all things Salvadorian and are superior to other Salvadorian restaurants. My secondary favorite dish to eat is called "Yucca Frita" which means fried yucca and is closely resembled to a potato with it's thick consistency and starchy taste. We fry the yucca, serve it again with the cortida and salsa and BAM! Heaven in your mouth!  

To continue my food rant, one major dish we are also known for are our TAMALES! Yes, it's true. Many different latino countries have their own variation of tamales and they're all special in their own way. The way Salvadorian tamales differ from the popularized tamal is because we steam our tamales in a banana/plantain leaves which results in a soft, moist and smoother textured tamales as opposed to the popular Mexican tamal that is a little bit drier and coarser in texture. The stuffing's of both tamales are usually the same, chicken with garbanzo beans or pork or potato and usually eaten/picked up with a piece of bread(utensils are frowned upon lol.)

In addition to the amazingly delicious food my country is known for, AND not to toot my own horn but we have THEE best horchata. I've converted a lot of my other Hispanic friends to try Salvadorian horchata and they really prefer Salvadorian horchata over Mexican horchata. The difference between the two are, Salvadorian horchata is made from Morro seeds which give the horchata a darker, thicker and grainier taste and texture which I LOVE! The taste is very strong, it's sweet, with cinnamon, and it is simply divine. Of course, I may be bias because it's from my m
otherland but try it yourselves and you will see how delicious it really is!  


Lastly, the #1 iconic Salvadorian symbol is Kolashampan. Just how Coca-Cola is popular here in the states, Kolashampan is their most popular drink. The best thing that I can compare the taste and look to it is, it sort of tastes like cream soda. It's bright orange in color, fizzy and carbonated, sweet and delicious! The cool thing now is many grocery stores are now starting to carry this soda! Many spanish speaking restaurants are serving this drink as well, so that just goes to show how tasty it is and how much people have been asking for it.If you're ever curious to try any Salvadorian cuisine, google your area and you'd be surprised how many locations cater to Salvadorian food. Go ahead and try it out yourselves, you won't be disappointed! Puchica! 










Shout out to my fellow Guanaco's! 

Comments

Popular Posts