DRUG STORE HAIR DYE REVIEW!

 

Hit or Miss?


Hey guys!

So I have a review for you all today.
I'm reviewing the L'oreal Paris Feria Power Reds in #R48 - Deep Intense Auburn. I bought my hair dye at my local Target for $8.98. I have a lot of thick curly hair so I bought two boxes.








What comes inside the box!
(Let me start off by mentioning I completely forgot to take a picture of the contents you get with the purchase. I already used them in my hair and tossed them out...i'll keep that in mind for next review. I'M STILL LEARNING!)
The box contains: 
Aromatic Shimmer Serum, Color booster for reds, Deep conditioning color gel, Power shimmer conditioner, Conditioning shampoo, of course the developer, squeeze bottle, instructions and rubber gloves. 

The mixing of the liquids!
I later discovered that it was a lot harder than it looked. You pour the liquids in step by step directions, shake and apply. BUT, let me mention that the "Color booster for reds" is a very VERY VERY dangerous liquid. It is pure red dye and without me knowing how potent it was, I opened the bottle with my bare hands and red hot fiery lava colored dye spilled everywhere. Permanently staining my floor, bathroom counter, as well as staining my skin. Not a good start. I would advise to open the red little tube with gloves and over paper or a towel you're not worried about staining. All liquids mixed very well and the color activated very rapidly.

Wait time.
The smell of the hair dye was actually not that bad, weird to say that the aromatic shimmer serum made it smell like strawberries! I have dyed my hair with drugstore dye before but I've never tried this brand before. The wait time is about 25 mins(said so in the instructions) and in that short period of time, I had a weird sensation on my scalp. My head became extremely hot, it felt like it was tightening, and became slightly itchy--but bearable.

The rinse off.
At this point, I was very excited for the rinse, since it was starting to become uncomfortable. The box comes with a shampoo (apply twice during rinsing) and a tube of conditioner. I used the shampoo and conditioner as directed. During my shower, I was starting to freak out!!! My hair felt like hay. It was hard, brittle and limp. No matter how much I washed and washed and shampooed the feeling would not go away. I panicked and my first thought was "I fried my hair!" So I quickly resorted to the conditioner thinking it would alleviate the dryness, which semi worked. The conditioner felt very waxy and sort of just sat on my hair instead of CONDITION it! So far, not pleased.
Another warning: The water will run VERY dark red/purple. My bathtub looked like a murder scene for a bit lol

The Reveal 
I waited for my hair to dry as I wrapped it in a towel. Waited about 30 mins for the majority of the water was soaked up....What I saw was not a pretty sight. My hair was BLACK. I was expecting a nice red color like the box mentioned, and even on the panel where it says what color it will come out as if you're a blonde, brunette or have darker hair.... I have light brown hair and my hair came out darker than what I started.
I'm not kidding. It came out almost black!!!! I was fuming. Then I though "my hair is still wet, let's dry it." So I did. Nothing changed. Still black. Then I thought "Let me straighten it." So I did. This ever so slightly lightened the color. My hair is a very dark purple/almost a plum color while the box tricked me into thinking it was going to be red. Boy, was I pissed. Here, take a look for yourselves..

Definitely nothing close to what the box displayed >:(

The Verdict.
All in all, on a scale of 1-10(10 being the highest) I would PERSONALLY give the L'oreal Paris Feria Power Reds a whopping 3. Totally not the color pay off I was looking for, not the color pay off it displayed, messy products(the fiery red lava of doom) and it severely dried out my hair(which I was able to bring back to healthy state by my "hair product cocktail." I would definitely stay away from this product in the future and I would do better research before hand.


If anyone of you have tried this product or are going to try the product, pleeease let me know how it when for you. Maybe I just had a bad first time experience? I want to hear! :)

Much love,
Margie

Comments

Popular Posts