Head Over Heels?



How To Tell You're In Love

By Margie Posada

                The insane heart palpitations you experience when you hear your phone go off in hopes it's him texting you, the nasty stankin' pits you get from anxiety because you're anticipating a call or the gentle vibrations you feel all over you entire body when his hand accidentally brushes yours. Girl, you're in trouble. We've all asked ourselves at least once in our lifetime and wondered "Is this love?" I've had my fair shares of relationships, some short and some long term and let me tell you, each breakup hurts just as bad. Let me give you a little background detail on my love life; I started dating at the age of 15(without my parents consent of course. Duh.) I fell irrevocably head over heels in love with a star varsity football player at my high school. He was tall, sweet and was a total charmer. There was no way that I, being a 15 year old sophomore was not about to turn down a hottie Junior football player. So we dated, for almost two years! In high school time, that's like...forever. So evidently I totally thought I was in real hardcore love and knew everything there was about relationships. Pfft, right. Anyway, hottie and I talked about where we wanted to get married, how many kids and what their names would be, moving out after I graduated and yadayadayada.... Then, my  Senior year violently shook the sense into me and realized that I was only 17 and was growing up sooner than I should be. So just as all romantic flames do, ours blew out in the wind and I broke up with him(a lot harsher than I should have been, but he got the point.) It hurt, he was my first love, my first real boyfriend and my first..you know *wink wink* It honestly made me sad when I realized that our innocent love ended. He was going off to college, he was also working on the side and I just started my last year in high school and we were just both in different places in our lives. But, did that stop me from loving someone else later on in life? Hell no. I met my amazing boyfriend in my second year of college, whom I've known and dated for almost three years now and I'm happy that I've experienced nasty break ups, heartbreaks and young love because sometimes, that's what it takes to see the true meaning of love when it hits you right in the feels.

               
           To briefly recap on why my previous paragraph was so crucial for me to share is because, regardless of the age, we've all experienced that warm fuzzy feeling inside that we think is love. But, is it? There is no real way to tell unless you've put yourself out there and have made your heart, soul and being vulnerable for someone else to step in and hopefully put their cards out on the table as well. We've all read about it. We've seen movies about it but fewer people have skimmed the surface of being in love. So what IS being in love like? Well my little lovelies, I don't know. If you're reading this post in hopes that you'll have a stranger give you a straight up answer to your love question, well I'm sorry. Just how only you can prevent forest fires, only you can know if you've been in love. But, there are little signs that may hint that you're in the right direction. Curious? Yes, I know you are. Keep reading, Casa Nova.


So, with that being said, here are "Margie's Signs of Being Sprung." 

  1.  You find yourself loving the little things about that person. 
    1. The way he scratches his head when he's driving around town. The way she scrunches her nose when she's mad.  The way his nostrils flare when he laughs. The way she tilts her head to the right when she looks at herself in the mirror 
  2.  You let them chose the restaurant for tonight's dinner date.
    1. Choosing where to eat is the number one cause of relationship fights. No, seriously it is. But,   if you selflessly let your partner chose where to eat then you're on the road to wedding bells a'ringing!
  3. You ACTUALLY listen to what they're saying while you two are fighting.
    1. Bickering is normal. The "honey moon stage" has to end eventually and when it does, the boxing gloves come on and if you guys don't fight then you guys are NOT meant for each other. Seriously. It's weird. Yet, when arguing, you intensively listen to their feelings, their     opinions and concerns without a rebuttal and without making them feel like they're wrong.    Good job!
  4. You learn to chose your battles WISELY!
    1. Like I mentioned in #3, fighting is natural in ALL relationships but there comes a certain point in your relationship where you feel like you're relationship is bigger than this things through is, you don't yell, don't raise your voice or sound irate, don't roll your eyes.      You just listen. Say "Okay honey, I understand what you're saying. This is how it made me feel...." And, if your partner is a little snippy that day and keeps pushing buttons. Gently tell them, "Look, I don't want to fight with you anymore. Let's BOTH(<---important keyword here) move on from this and have a good day/night.
  5.   You fret over the small things.
    1. This can go both ways. It can represent you're genuinely care about the relationship and your partner OR you're obsessive over your relationship and your partner. Big difference.  Personally, as a woman, I am not ashamed to admit that I sometimes I get hurt quite easily. So, my boyfriend has no problem in telling me to stiffen up my bottom lip when I'm being a little too sensitive. If you're irritated that he didn't do the dishes on his day off but he played Xbox all day, that's a good reason to fret. If he didn't call you on your lunch break to say I love you every day this week, that's is a stupid reason to be upset. Again, pick your battles WISELY!
  6. You are happy with the thought of your partner in your future.
    1. No explanation needed.
And, lastly.... You're running a Google search and reading this post about whether to tell if you're in love or not. Because, if you're not in love, you'd know. But, it's the possibility that you're feeling something other than being hungry or horny that's making you unsure. If you can relate to any of the bullet points I've listed, then chances are that you've been struck by cupid's arrow. Now that we've got that covered and out of the way... 
Congratulations! You're in love. Now that you've had  this epiphany, go enjoy it! 


Comments

Popular Posts